Vegan 25 Minutes Beginner
For Trinidadians, curry chana and potato is our version of comfort food. Chana is also known as chickpeas or garbanzo beans. Aloo on the other hand is what some Trinidadians refer to as potato. In this dish, chickpeas and potatoes are simmered in a curry sauce flavored with aromatics including turmeric, cumin and fresh herbs. This flavorful dish can be used as a side along with daal, curry bodi, eaten with rice, or paired with our paratha recipe.
On our plate we ate it with dhalpourie roti, grandma’s pepper sauce, and tamarind sauce. Keep Calm and Curry On!
- ¼ cup oil
- 9 Yukon Gold Potato, washed, peeled, cut in small chunks
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 15oz cans garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Put oil in large pot over medium high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon curry to pot. Stir.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir.
- Add garbanzo beans and potatoes. Stir until evenly covered with curry oil mixture.
- Add water (enough to cover all ingredients) to pot. Stir. Cover and cook until potatoes are softened. (approximately 15 minutes).
- After 10 minutes, add coconut milk and 1 tablespoon curry.
- Add remaining salt. Stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro, stir, and serve warm.