Vegan 20 minutes Beginner
Like any creation, a grilled cheese sandwich does not have to be plain. Our version of the grilled cheese sandwich came from a “Little” family experimentation in the kitchen. Honey and basil make this grilled cheese the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Most often you’ll find that grilled cheese is served with tomato soup, but we decided to add split pea soup instead. Split pea soup goes well with this because it is hearty and and adds a complimentary taste.
- 1 Loaf of Bread cut in slices (Vermont Bread)
- 1 pack Follow Your Heart cheddar cheese slices
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 Butternut squash
- 2 Cups yellow split peas
- 4 Long carrots (peel chop)
- 2 Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 Quarts water
- 1 Ear corn (1 cup)
- ½ Cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cover both sides of each slice of bread with butter.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or griddle over medium.
- Add bread slices and cook, sliding them around the pan as they cook until an even golden brown on first side, about 2 minutes.
- Flip two of the slices over and top each with two slices of cheese. (The cheese should go directly on the cooked side).
- Place the other two slices of bread on top, forming two sandwiches with the cheese and browned sides in the middle, and the still-uncooked sides on the outside.
- Cook sandwiches, gently swirling them around the pan occasionally until the bottoms are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook remaining side, gently swirling them around the pan occasionally until the remaining side is golden brown, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add water to pot on high heat
- Add Butternut Squash, Split Peas, Potatoes, Carrots, Corn, Cilantro, Cayenne Pepper and Salt
- Allow to cook for 50 mins on Medium heat